ACT on Alzheimer’s Brainerd/Baxter
Community Action Priorities
- Create a community resource brochure and dementia awareness business cards
- Offer education to community and family caregivers
- Provide in-person dementia training and ACT resources to health care providers
- Deliver “The Basics: Understanding Memory Loss, Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease” and “Know the Ten Signs: Early Detection Matters”
- Increase awareness of existing support groups
- Work with local schools and youth organizations
About Our ACT Community
ACT Brainerd/Baxter was established in July 2013. ACTion Team members represent community service providers, the health care community, residential settings, adult day programs, local businesses, local government, and both formal and informal caregivers. Lakes Area Memory Awareness Advocates (LAMAA) was a key leader in launching the effort.
Snapshot of Activities
- Offer Dementia Friends Information Sessions.
- Host an annual educational forum on dementia.
- Created LIVE! (Live Interactive Virtual Experience), which allows participants to experience what it is like to live with dementia.
- Offer four support groups within a 35-mile radius of Brainerd/Baxter.
- Built relationships with local high school Key Club to recruit student volunteers for several of LAMAA events.
Resources, News and Events
To Stay Informed
In the News
Group Receives Grant to Support Dementia-Friendly Community
June 1, 2015, Brainerd Dispatch
Meeting on Dementia-Friendly Communities Planned
March 16, 2015, Brainerd Dispatch
Action Community Team contact