ACT on Alzheimer’s Marshall
Community Action Priorities
- Create a community resource brochure and dementia awareness business cards
- Offer Dementia Friends Information Sessions
- Host a monthly radio and television show
- Offer education to community and family caregivers
- Create dementia-friendly community recreation and education programming at the YMCA
- Host an ArtSage workshop
About our ACT Community
As early as 1980, the community of Marshall began fostering programs and activities related to dementia. In September 2013, the Marshall Area Dementia Awareness Network became an Action Community for ACT on Alzheimer’s. ACTion Team members represent aging services providers, health care, residential settings, long-term care, adult day programs, the Area Agency on Aging, and local government.
Snapshot of Activities
- The ACTion Team meets monthly and functions as the Marshall Area Dementia Awareness Network.
- Held Dementia Friends Information Sessions in Lincoln County.
- Conducted Virtual Dementia Tours at local nursing homes. Partnering with Avera Marshall Regional Medical Center to increase Virtual Dementia Tours offerings.
- Held a successful ArtSage workshop with 50 professional and family caregivers to learn how to use the arts to reach out to those with dementia.
- Plan to expand to a larger service area, including Lyon County. Future plans include community awareness events, Dementia Friends sessions, Virtual Dementia Tours in nursing homes, Rider Companion Program, collaboration with local clinics as to memory screenings, ongoing memory loss consultation, support groups and evidence based classes to assist family caregivers.
Resources, News and Events
To Stay Informed
In the News
Preparing for Alzheimer's / Dementia
May 31, 2014, Marshall Independent
Action Community Team Contact