ACT on Alzheimer's Willmar Area
About Our ACT Community
In 2009, a small group of Willmar area providers realized there was a need for community awareness, education, and support related to dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. They took action, forming the West Central Dementia Awareness Network. Since then, they have held educational events and been a model for other communities. The group served as a pilot ACT on Alzheimer’s community to help develop the Community Toolkit with rural use in mind. Team members represent long-term care, specialized memory care, medical clinics, assisted living facilities, and non-medical home care as well as Lutheran Social Services, Minnesota River Agency on Aging, faith communities, Living At Home Block Nurse Program, adult day services, and counseling services.
Snapshot of Activities
- Trained community volunteers to deliver “The Basics: Understanding Memory Loss, Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease” and “Know the Ten Signs: Early Detection Matters”
- Opened a Memory Café in Willmar.
- Offer education on dementia issues to businesses, service organizations, churches, and other community organizations.
- Printed and distributed “10 Signs of Alzheimer's” bookmarks.
- Hosted a community forum with nearly 100 people participants who were anxious to be part of the conversation around preparing Kandiyohi County for the impacts of Alzheimer’s.
- Establishing a team to do cultural outreach to our Hispanic and Somali communities.
Resources, News and Events
To Stay Informed
In the News
Memory Café to Fill Unmet Social, Emotional Needs of Dementia
July 11, 2016, West Central Tribune
Alzheimer's Organization Promotes Year-Round Support, Outreach
June 19, 2016, West Central Tribune
Coalition receives grant for Alzheimer’s education
March 25, 2015, West Central Tribune
Alzheimer’s coalition settles on projects to implement (word)
July 23, 2014, West Central Tribune
Caregiver support tops priority list of local initiative on Alzheimer’s
June 19, 2014, West Central Tribune
Many voices: Nearly 100 contribute input at community forums on dementia
June 4, 2014, West Central Tribune
Dementia awareness: Forum to gather community priorities for Alzheimer’s care, support
June 1, 2014, West Central Tribune
Dementia Education provided by Teepa Snow held Sepember 2016 (flyer)
Dementia education with Teepa Snow held October 12 and 13, 2014 (flyer)
Action Community Team Contacts