ACT on Alzheimer's Twin Cities Jewish Community
Community Action Priorities
- Create a community resource brochure for Jewish community
- Offer Rabbi Training
- Host Keeping the Spirit Alive caregiver conference
- Offer dementia training for teens
- Sponsor “Dementia and Family Relationships” film series
About Our ACT Community
When the Twin Cities Jewish Community Alzheimer’s disease task force connected with ACT on Alzheimer’s in 2012, it re-energized the volunteer task force. As a result, they formed a new ACT Action Community with members representing the aging services area, caregivers, and other community sectors. Team members range from young adults to a person in his 80’s and they represent the Reform, Conservative, and Orthodox Jewish community in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Snapshot of Activities
- Completed 70 community surveys to explore awareness, transportation, residential settings and caregiver support.
- Annette Sandler and Chris Rosenthal, Co-Chairs of the Twin Cities Jewish Community Alzheimer’s Disease Task Force presented to the national conference of the Association of Jewish Family & Children’s Services Agencies.
- Held training for local Rabbis called “Thou Shall and Thou Shall Not” to educate on understanding and assisting people with dementia
- Trained Dementia Champions and conducted Dementia Friends Information Sessions.
- Plans for the future include hosting Dementia Friends Information Sessions at each local synagogue and Jewish agency, continue to raise awareness about Alzheimer’s Disease in our community, continue Alzheimer’s training with teens, and host a Dementia Film series.
Resources, News and Events
Our Family's Alzheimer's Story. A video created by the Shapiro family to raise awareness and support research. Carol Shapiro is a member of the Twin Cities Jewish Community team.
In the News
Keeping the Spirit Alive, April 30, 2017
A Niece Chronicles her Uncle's Journey with Dementia
November 12, 2014, American Jewish World
A Community as Caregiver
February 1, 2013, American Jewish World
"Keeping the Spirit Alive" film on Alzheimer's named "Critics Choice" at ReelAbilities Film Festival, June 9, 2015, Press Release
ACT on Alzheimer’s Host a Film Screening in Your Community based on the experience of the Twin Cities Jewish Community
Dementia and Family Relationships, Film Series held October 2015, Minnetonka Community Center (flyer)
Dementia and Family Relationships, Film Series held November 2015, Adath Jeshum Congregation (flyer)
Keeping the Spirit Alive, A Conference for Caregivers and Those Supporting a Loved One with Dementia held May 3, 2015 (flyer)
Action Community Team Contact