ACT on Alzheimer’s St. Louis Park
About Our ACT Community
In 2008, the Park Nicollet Foundation and the Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Minneapolis NORC project (Nurturing Our Retired Citizens) co-developed the Successful Aging Initiative (SAI). Mid-2012, members of the SAI formed a St. Louis Park ACT on Alzheimer’s. The ACTion Team consisted of 12-15 individuals, including aging services professionals, a retired physician, attorneys, social workers, senior residents, and business owners.
Snapshot of Activities
- Place two Alzheimer’s-themed books in all Little Free Libraries in St. Louis Park neighborhoods, including The Memory Box, a book for children
- St. Louis Park City Council declared June 20---the summer solstice---to be Alzheimer’s Awareness Day while recognizing the efforts of the ACTion Team at a council meeting.
- Hosted a screening of the movie, Still Alice, which drew 215 attendees
- Host Alzheimer’s, A Journey: Treatments and Living with the Disease event at the St. Louis Park Public Library with local physician
- Worked with every nursing home and assisted living facility in St. Louis Park to provide better education and training on the basics and behaviors of people with dementia.
- Developed an education brochure to help caregivers build teams of support.
Resources, News and Events
To Stay Informed
In the News
St. Louis Park Team Works to Create Awareness of Alzheimer's
June 27, 2016, Sun Sailor
Annette Sandler Plays an Essential Role in Alzheimer’s Research for St. Louis Park
May 2016, St. Louis Park Magazine
Dementia and Family Relationships, Dementia Film Series held October 2015 (flyer)
St. Louis Park Library Event - A Personal Story on the Importance of Sharing the Diagnosis
Alzheimer's Disease and Aging Well Together held April 27, 2015
Alzheimer’s Group Offers Screening of “Still Alice”
February 28, 2015, StarTribune
Action Community Team Contact