A couple ways our team can point to raising awareness and transforming attitudes about Alzheimer’s in Anoka include:
• Seeing lots of interest at our kick-off event by many people who didn’t realize the extent of Alzheimer’s effect on individuals, families and communities.
• Tracking numbers of visits and likes to postings on our ACT on Alzheimer’s Anoka Facebook page.
In working to increase dementia detection and improve care, we partnered with the Family Caregiver Connection, Faith Community Nurse Program and First Congregational Church of Anoka to sponsor a memory screening event. Twelve people received training about identifying the signs of dementia, four people were screened, and the scores of three people suggested further testing was needed.
About Our ACT Community
The Anoka ACTion Team was formed in 2015. The team includes representatives from medical, financial, city and county government, religious groups, and business organizations, as well as community members including people living with Alzheimer’s. Many of the core team members have personal experience in caring for family members with dementia.
Snapshot of Activities (underway in 2017)
- Develop community-specific resource brochure
- Create an ACT on Alzheimer’s Anoka page within our host organization’s website
- Redesign our ACT Anoka Facebook page
- Work with Anoka County libraries to create a dementia reading list
- Explore development of memory café in Anoka
- Offer Dementia Friends MN to businesses and employees
- Sponsor a dementia friendly shopping day
News, Resources and Events
In the News
Anoka Taking Steps to Become Dementia Friendly
April 15, 2016, ABC Newspapers
Movement to Make Anoka Dementia-Friendly Community
June 2, 2015, ABC Newspapers
Action Community Team Contact