ACT on Alzheimer’s Greater International Falls
Community Action Priorities
- Establish a single point of contact for Alzheimer’s/dementia information and education for use by public, caregivers, and people with dementia
- Explore models for developing an informal group respite resource
About Our ACT Community
In 2014, Greater International Falls initiated the ACT on Alzheimer’s effort. Koochiching Aging Options, a local nonprofit, led the project. Key partners in the effort include representatives of a local long-term care facility, a health care provider, the faith community, and the county’s public health agency. The core team brought together a larger assembly of interested people to form the ACTion Team.
Snapshot of Activities
- Established the Koochiching Memory Café, which invites those living with dementia and their care partners to enjoy a social outing with education, refreshments, and activities.
- Offered Dementia Friends Information Sessions.
- Working with area clinics and related professionals to promote early screening.
- Established agreement with Koochiching Aging Options (KAO) to provide ongoing leadership for implementing the community’s ACT priorities.
- KAO hired a dementia support specialist as a single-point-of-contact for the community.
Resources, News and Events
In the News
Grant Helps Implement Dementia-Friendly Plan
June 4, 2015, International Falls Journal
ACT on Alzheimer's to Set Priorities
December 31, 2014, International Falls Journal
ACT on Alzheimer’s Surveying Community
August 28, 2014, International Falls Journal
Action Community Team Contact